Saturday, January 29, 2011

January 29

I'm out of practice with album reviews. I tried to cycle through "Sympathy", the upcoming album from Chicago band Scattered Trees, and get a quick paragraph or two out.

Instead, I've played this album about six times so far. That's not to say it's changed my life or anything; in the first place, the music's rather unobtrusive, like Mat Kearney or whoever you order a tall latte to these days. But songs like "Four Days Straight" and "Five Minutes" snuck up on me.
Apparently, the songs were written while the lead singer was mourning the death of his father. And while the album isn't a textbook concept album, the nine songs work as a collection, exploring the mourning landscapes, whether for a loved one or the love once shared. The cloudy-day music on "Sympathy" goes well with April showers...

"Sympathy" will be available for purchase in early April...

No comments:

Post a Comment